Tanner stages – verbal descriptions but images helpful esp for self assessment.
Pubic Hair Scale (both males and females)
- Stage 1: No hair
- Stage 2: Downy hair
- Stage 3: Scant terminal hair
- Stage 4: Terminal hair that fills the entire triangle overlying the pubic region
- Stage 5: Terminal hair that extends beyond the inguinal crease onto the thigh
Female Breast Development Scale
- Stage 1: No glandular breast tissue palpable
- Stage 2: Breast bud palpable under the areola (1st pubertal sign in females)
- Stage 3: Breast tissue palpable outside areola; no areolar development
- Stage 4: Areola elevated above the contour of the breast, forming a “double scoop” appearance
- Stage 5: Areolar mound recedes into single breast contour with areolar hyperpigmentation, papillae development, and nipple protrusion
For males you then have testicular volume, measured by orchidometer (between £26 and £208):
- 4 ml (1.8cm long by formula below) is first pubertal sign
- Adult is >20 ml (or >3 cm long)
Cadbury’s Teasers and Truffles (from Celebrations box) are 8ml, equivalent to 50th centile at age 13.
If you only have a ruler, use maximum width in millimetres and the formula: (W-1.5)3 x 0.88, where ss is double scrotal skin thickness (for Tanner stages 1, 2, and 3).